Sunday 4 August 2013

Testing 1..2..3...

Just checking that this works. Just kidding I know it works.

Welcome to my new Blog "Guy On A Bike". My name is James, I'm 20 and have recently taken up riding motorbikes...again. After a few years off a bike I decided it was time to get back in the saddle, so the hunt began, for a cheap and fun little bike to commute and still be able to have fun on weekends. The search took a while, eventually I found a fun little bike, A 1999 Kawasaki ZZR250. I'll admit it wasn't in fantastic condition, In fact unridable , but I paid $500 for a bike that needed a little bit of TLC.
You can't see it but the fairings are in bad condition

By TLC I mean a qualified mechanic, unfortunately I am not one, fortunately I am a curious fellow and I decided screw it, I can do this. The list of tasks looked a little like this:
  • Change oil and oil filter (K&N)
  • Change air filter (K&N)
  • New brake and clutch levers(OEM)
  • New chain and sprockets(OEM)
  • Carby Clean out and re tune
  • Fuel tank flush and clean out
  • New Tyres (Dunlop GT501)
  • New Fairings (REPLICA)
  • New Battery(MOTOBATT)
  • New Fuses

Now to someone who has worked on bikes for a long time, this list may not be so daunting. But for me, It was a little worrying. 2 months after purchasing the bike I was almost ready to go, I taught myself how to do everything. The only thing I bought in help for was the carby re tune and clean, A mate of mine has worked on boat and motorbike engines and carbys since he was 6, so he came round and did my carbys for free( Saving me about $300). Below are some work shop pictures(my driveway):
Above: Old Sprocket


Above: New Front and Rear Sprocket


So now I have been riding the bike for about 2 months now which makes it about 5 months since I purchased my little toy. The only thing left to do is to replace fairings which are on their way as well as new fairing bolts.

I'm Proud of my little ZZR250, and it's treated me well so far, had a few runs up the putty with people from some great forums called Netrider. Great folks and willing to help develop a rider like myself into a better rider.

First Putty Ride

So that's all there is to my story...So far

For now goodbye.

-James

No comments:

Post a Comment